Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 11:45:54 EST
I trust term infants to know when they want to eat and when they want to
breathe.  I never gavage feed (read- force feed) a term infant if they are
tachypneic (good way to promote aspiration and indefensible in court as IV
fluids are so easy and safe in the USA ). Some infants will have an "easy"
tachypnea with a rapid respiratory rate but no increased work of breathing
(grunting, retractions). I allow these infants (usually RR 60-100) to go to
breast if they wish to.  I find the infant will choose breathing over eating
every time (unlike some of us adults who would rather eat than breathe!).  If
an infant is working hard to breathe, they usually have no desire or energy
to nurse.  Interestingly, I find that nursing (and kangaroo care) often
results in a slowing of the respiratory rate!  I know of no research that
directly addresses these issues, however.
Nancy
Nancy E. Wight MD, FAAP, IBCLC
Neonatologist, Children's Hospital, and Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women
Medical Director, Lactation Services, Sharp HealthCare
San Diego, CA, USA
Email: [log in to unmask]