From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Aug 1998 08:36:51 -0500
>Mom has extremely large nipples...transfer is never more than 4-6cc... Mom's
>supply is good she's able to pump 2-2 1/2 ounce from one breast while nursing
>baby at other breast.

You'll hear from lots of people here that the baby's ability to reach the
milk sinuses will improve as he grows.  My most dramatic baby was one who
(years ago before I had scale etc) could suck and suck and suck and suck
and never seem to swallow a drop, tho his mom pumped 10 oz at first morning
pumping.  Her nipples weren't overlarge, and I never figured out what I
came to think of as his remarkable talent for latching onto an exuberant
fountain and not getting even a little wet.

She dropper-finger-fed for a month with gradual improvement (occasional
swallows at breast), then switched to a bottle.  She felt his sucking
skills picked up after the switch, by 7 weeks he was pretty competent, and
she phased out an evening bottle of pumped milk a couple weeks later.
Tincture of time.  It really helped that he would smile in blissful
relaxation at breast in a way he never did with finger or bottle.  We never
did figure out what the problem was.

I've since seen babies appear to latch onto little more than a very large
nipple and make it work just fine.  Part of that tincture of time, I'm
sure, is the little guy figuring out exactly what maneuvers to use, based
on the instant feedback of squirts he gets - a subtle process that the big
folks never see and not too different from the mom learning hand
expression.

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY