From:
Cabot Strange <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2007 11:58:36 -0400
Hi it’s me Cabot Strange and I just wanted to thank you for sending me
those website links to further help me in my research concerning toxins in
breastmilk.  I will have to admit I was truly amazed in the information
that I read.  It really did open my eyes.  The information stated in
“Towards Healthy Environments for Children,” a FAQ (frequently asked
questions) sheet published by WABA: leads to believe that chemical residue
is not a reason for substituting breast milk with formula.  This FAQ sheet
also further explained that breastfeeding would be a good idea even if
chemical residues were found in a nursing mother’s breastmilk because this
will help build the baby’s immunity to environmental pollutants.  This FAQ
sheet also went on to say that the damage caused by environmental
chemicals and pollutants could be limited by breastfeeding.  It is
important to note that testing the breastmilk is not needed unless a
mother has been exposed to high amounts of an environmental pollutant or
chemical (ex. long time workplace exposure or industrial accidents) (WABA
2005).  I was also very surprised in the facts I obtained from the article
“Toxins and Infant Feeding,” by Newman (2005). This article informed me
that breastmilk changes from morning to night and from day to day.  If I
understand this right that means that it would be impossible for baby
formula to be the exact same as a mother’s breastmilk (Newman 2005).  This
article also brought to my attention that baby formula contains many heavy
metals, like lead, for example, and in much higher percentages than
breastmilk.  I also concluded that the cows used to produce the milk for
formula are around all sorts of pesticides and chemicals used on or near
the fields in which they are kept.  So wouldn’t this mean the cows are
probably exposed to more chemicals in our environment than we are (Newman
2005)?  I was further alarmed by reading this article that breastfed
children do better on neurological and intelligence tests than formula fed
children (Newman 2005).  All of this information really got me thinking.
Why is baby’s formula pushed so hard when the research is out there that
breastfeeding baby’s is so much better?  Is society so consumed by greed
and the almighty dollar that we would sacrifice our children’s health?  Or
could it be that many people like to take the easy out because feeding a
baby formula is easier than breastfeeding.  If you have any answers or
more resources to check out I would be eternally grateful if you could
respond.