From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 07:06:02 -0400
I think it  is probably a human gesture, like the way people stroke the top
 of babies heads or mostly hold babies with the left arm.
we've found that the c-hold is more effective and teach it, but we are sort
of going against an age old gesture. It's also one of those "if it's not
broke, don't fix it" sort of things.  If that's how mom holds breast and
all else is good, what difference does it make?  We learn  by modeling and
that is what was modeled from the beginning of time.  The fear of
smothering the baby with the breast seems to be a very American kind of
thing.  In  other parts of the world where BF is still  the norm I bet it's
not a concern the way it is in the American mother's mind, because American
moms haven't generally seen BF modeled.  Ok other parts of the world, is my
idea right on this?  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ