From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2010 09:34:04 -0400
What great responses, coming from all sorts of angles!  Here's one more, not
up to the others but fun to think about:

Does our culture set women up for breastfeeding to be disruptive after a
year?  On another list we've been talking about women who're still using a
nursing pillow with their toddlers.  Talk about disruptive to the family!
"If Baby Billy comes, mom's going to have to bring the pillow and that
stupid blanket thing to hide what she's doing, and she's going to have to go
back to the car every time he wants to nurse.  Can't she just wean him????"

Our culture tells her to have a Special Nursing Corner, to eat right, to
feed on a schedule, to follow all sorts of rules.  Fine for a few, but
pretty darned disruptive in the long run.   But the rules are so often
delivered as Absolute Musts that mothers seem to stick with them, using that
chicken wing position with a 2 year old, fretting about hind milk with an 18
month old, and so on.

If breastfeeding is disruptive after a year, we're not looking at a normal,
freewheeling nursing relationship.  *I* look at women on the street who are
trying to reason with unreasonable 2 year olds, and think, "Ah, they don't
have that most efficient of mothering tools in their toolkit.  They weaned
too soon."   And *that* disrupts the family!

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY  USA