From:
James Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 23:46:08 -0600
I frequently run into situations where a baby takes one side better
than the other expecially in the first day or so.  Most of the time
it's either a matter of being patient or making small changes (e.g.,
baby has a bruised head from mom's pushing or vacuum or forceps
use.  If that's on one side of the head more than the other, they
frequently refuse to nurse if they are held lying on that sore
side.)  Regardless of the reason, and especially if we can't detect
the reason right away, at some point in talking with the mom I make
sure I mention that even if baby never takes that side, it is
possible to nurse on only one side.  I reassure her that we aren't
at that point and I am pretty confident we'll be able to get baby to
take the other side.  I find that as soon as I mention that, the
moms relax.  So many times they feel it's both or nothing.  Once she
recognizes that she doesn't have to get the second side working now
or give up nursing, she relaxes and sometimes that's all that's
needed for her to work with baby calmly and get that second side
"working".