From:
Stephen Curless <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 21:31:55 -0400
Hello:  I thought I would share a success story about one physician who
has in my opinion done a wonderful job with combining career and
nursing. I hope this helps offer encouragement to others who make these
tough decisions. My family physician is breastfeeding triplets beyond a
year while working part-time (job sharing with another female
physician). Her path certainly has not been easy but with support from
those around her she is doing well. She felt that her triplets deserved
the same benefits as her other child who was breastfed beyond 2 years.
She in my opinion is such a strong advocate of breastfeeding to her
patients that she will help countless other mothers.
I selfishly am glad that she did not quit being my doctor. I tell her
how proud I am of her and marvel at what a good mother and doctor she
is. I think that this is what physicians need-support and determination
to get the medical world to allow part-time work.
Also, thank you Catherine for your excellent comments to give insight
into how hard it is for working mothers. Helen Curless,RN,IBCLC