From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2008 19:56:30 -0500
Dear all:

I realize this is a very serious topic.  There are some hospitals in New York that have C-
section rates that are 45%.  Having had one myself ---- after a really nice labor at home,
a lot of time in a hottub in the birthing center and camel back contractions and back labor
---- only to have him stuck up high in some negative station with his head turned
sideways and ear coming out first --- I have no idea why anyone would choose to have
one.  I really am happy I was able to spend all that time in the birthing center.  But,
there was one news article once where the media really misrepresented the situation as a
"mom chooses C-section for convenience" story --- when if you knew the full story of her
life you would be "welling up" tears of empathy.  Her ob happens to be one of those that
knows the art and feel of delivering a baby which I think is being lost on a younger
generation of obs at least here in New York. What I see more of is the moms who
absolutely must have their epidural than I have to schedule a C-section.

At the same time, the advertisements on our subway proudly advertise how you can
blame just about every potential developmental challenge on some doctor (especially
obs) and win millions of dollars.  Fitpatrick and Fitzpatrick is the one that promises the
most money for a whole range of birth outcomes.  There is no balance or perspective in
this kind of approach.  Moreover, the Elizabeth Seton Childbearing Center closed when the
malpractice insurance jumped from $400,000 to $1,000,000.  There are other political
reasons why it closed, but this was the nail in the coffin.

But, I think is time for a little humor.  Go to You-Tube and look up Mrs. Hughes. Pick her
original video that starts off with her mentioned how her belly is blocking the view.
There is a real gem about why women should have natural deliveries.

Best, Susan