Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2008 19:56:30 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (41 lines)
Dear all:

I realize this is a very serious topic.  There are some hospitals in New York that have C-
section rates that are 45%.  Having had one myself ---- after a really nice labor at home, 
a lot of time in a hottub in the birthing center and camel back contractions and back labor 
---- only to have him stuck up high in some negative station with his head turned 
sideways and ear coming out first --- I have no idea why anyone would choose to have 
one.  I really am happy I was able to spend all that time in the birthing center.  But, 
there was one news article once where the media really misrepresented the situation as a 
"mom chooses C-section for convenience" story --- when if you knew the full story of her 
life you would be "welling up" tears of empathy.  Her ob happens to be one of those that 
knows the art and feel of delivering a baby which I think is being lost on a younger 
generation of obs at least here in New York. What I see more of is the moms who 
absolutely must have their epidural than I have to schedule a C-section.

At the same time, the advertisements on our subway proudly advertise how you can 
blame just about every potential developmental challenge on some doctor (especially 
obs) and win millions of dollars.  Fitpatrick and Fitzpatrick is the one that promises the 
most money for a whole range of birth outcomes.  There is no balance or perspective in 
this kind of approach.  Moreover, the Elizabeth Seton Childbearing Center closed when the 
malpractice insurance jumped from $400,000 to $1,000,000.  There are other political 
reasons why it closed, but this was the nail in the coffin.

But, I think is time for a little humor.  Go to You-Tube and look up Mrs. Hughes. Pick her 
original video that starts off with her mentioned how her belly is blocking the view.  
There is a real gem about why women should have natural deliveries.  

Best, Susan

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2