Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2014 14:24:08 +0100
>Kelly asks about research articles about the harm caused by pre and
>post feeding weight checks.  After having read at least 40 articles
>on the topic of test weighing, not one demonstrated harm.  Some of
>the skeptics of test weighing actually changed their opinions about
>test weighing after conducting a study trying to demonstrate that it
>was inaccurate and therefore harmful.
>
>Kelly's situation, however, leads one to employ some common sense
>about the situation in which test weighing is being employed.  It
>sounds like this is being done by nurses who are untrained and might
>provide incorrect advice based on misinterpreting the results of
>test weighing.  Furthermore, repeatedly again and again on Lactnet
>most Australians have a deeply negative response to test weighing
>which seems to be a reaction to a period of time when test weighing
>was used for every feeding in the first couple of weeks after a
>baby's birth.  I have enough anecdotal reports from Australians and
>a few clients who have done 24 hour weighings for weeks to know that
>that process can be stressful even if not reported in the research.

And in the UK!! :)

I have (or had) a deeply negative response to test weighing, which
indeed used to be common here (not for the past 30 years though) -
not every feed for the first couple of weeks after birth (yikes!),
but definitely very commonly used with the results widly
misinterpreted. Instead, test weighing was often done once or twice,
in isolation. It was stressful and often led to supplementation with
formula.

My attitude has softened somewhat over the past 15 years of being on
Lactnet, when I read about when test weighing is done in a context of
support, knowledge and careful individualised care, by experienced
and accurate professionals who know what they are doing.

Susan, your 'pragmatic thinking' about why test weighing done after
every feed, and if not with every feed, on every baby, is not good
practice ( the scenario outlined by Kelly) is great.

I think routine test weighing in these circumstances is
**ker-azy**....no one who knows anything about how breastfeeding
works and what is needed to enable it could possibly think this is a
good idea....though of course Kelly cannot say it in those words to
her colleagues :)  The very fact they are doing it is a give-away -
they should not be anywhere near a breastfeeding mother,  because
they are no doubt sharing a load of terrible information with them
verbally, as well...though again Kelly cannot say this in quite those
terms.

I wonder what the justification was for the old scheme you describe,
Kelly, where the IBCLC did a routine pre-and-post weighing with every
follow-up visit. This would be in isolation, and could not (I
suggest) give any useful info to mother or LC.

I hope no one thinks that's my knee-jerk deeply negative reponse
kicking in, again :) :)

Heather Welford Neil

breastfeeding counsellor and tutor, NCT, UK