From:
Lyla Wolfenstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Apr 2003 21:15:41 -0700

>I hope you can help me.  I have a mother with a 3 month old girl.  Her
>problem is biting.  She already has 2 teeth and is biting the nipple every
>time she feeds.  She has been doing this for some weeks now and it=B4s
>getting worse.

have you seen this baby?  i had a mom call me with the same problem - a 4
month old with her first tooth, and all of a sudden mom has lacerations all
over her areaola (not her nipples), with no history of previous pain or
discomfort.  this baby turned out to be pretty obviously tongue-tied, and
once the tooth erupted, the fact that baby could not cover her lower gum
line all of a sudden became very painful for mom.

when i inquired further, it turned out baby had weight gain problems in the
beginning, and had to be supplemented, but nobody every caught the tongue
tie, and eventually baby became capable of getting enough for adequate
growth from exclusive nursing (albeit very frequent).

if you haven't seen the dyad, I would questions very careful about exact
location and timing of the bites, and screen for possible tongue-tie.  If
that is not the issue, than a properly latched and actively nursing baby
should not be biting the *nipples* (by definition the nipple would be far
from the teeth.  If she is biting the nipples, mom can follow standard
recommendations for dealing with biting babies.  please send an update when
you have one!

Lyla Wolfenstein, B.S., IBCLC, RLC
Early Attachments - Breastfeeding Preparation and Support Services
email:  [log in to unmask]
phone:  (360) 281-4719
web:    http://home.attbi.com/~earlyattachments