From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 21:18:13 -0800
Mary,
I'd ask a lot of questions first; I'm a lot more cautious. Try to find out
as much as you can about the mother's history of infertility, and if you
can, take a look at her breasts. Find out about how they responded to
pregnancy last time, and also about her labor meds, how breastfeeding was
managed, etc. The fact that her milk never seemed to come in is troubling.
While there is a chance that things could go differently this time, I would
not take a Pollyanna approach. Rather, I would be proactive as a mother in
doing her homework and trying your best to figure out what might have
happened last time so that as many negative factors as possible can be
eliminated, neutralized, or at least monitored. The girl scout approach. :-)

Lisa