From:
Diana Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:26:40 -0400
The Educational Needs of Mothers with low SES on Breastfeeding

 Hello!  My name is Diana Anderson and I am a nursing student at
the University of North Dakota.  I am currently taking a childbearing
class and have just finished my clinicals on the OB Unit.  I recently
joined the listserv and have learned a lot from all the professionals that
participate.  I want to be the best RN that I can and I am eager to learn
from other professionals.  One of my main topics of interest is how nurses
can best educate their patients.
 Education plays such a critical role in the relationship between
the patient and their health status.  The nurse is sometimes the key
provider in the education that the patient receives on the their
condition.  That is why it is so important to understand the best ways to
educate each patient individually.  To do this the nurse has to be able to
assess the learning needs of the patient and their socioeconomic satus.
Often times people with low socioeconomic status may have more learning
needs due to their inability to acquire community and other social
resources (Sword & Watt, 2005).
 One of the reasons that it is important for nurses to bridge that
gap between women with low SES and resources is to help promote
breastfeeding education among these women.  These women need this
information most because they face conditions just like the conditions
that have occurred down south from Hurricane Katrina.  It is in these
conditions that breastfeeding is critical in saving the life of infants
(Davanzo, 2004).  Davanzo (2004) talks about how disaster situations are a
critical time for infants to be breastfed to avoid sickness, but
breastfeeding doesn’t occur due to the unmet educational needs of the
woman.
 Some studies suggest that there is a direct correlation between
the education and intelligence of the mother and the child’s nutrition
that can overcome lower socioeconomic status.  One study states that women
with a higher educational level are chosing to provide a more nutritional
diet to their children, including the choice to breastfeed (Creed-
Kanashiro, Cueto, Jacoby, & Wachs, 2005).  There is a greater need for
education among lower SES women and there are more and more American’s
facing poor conditions due to the recent events down south.  What advice
can be given to future nurses on how to effectively educate these women on
breastfeeding?  Is there any specific resources that are geared primarily
for women in these situations?

Thank You,
Diana Anderson, SN