From:
Jay Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 04:24:51 EDT
Women who are nursing and eating no dairy will find themselves quite
deficient in certain constituents of the American diet.

Pesticides (I recommend one small squirt from a "Raid" aerosol" qid as a
supplement) Saturated Fat from cheese and whole milk and other whole dairy
products can be replaced with a small to medium-sized bag of pork rinds bid.

It is difficult to replace a protein as allergenic and as troublesome as
cow's milk protein with just a pill.  Staying behind a bus 30-60 seconds/day
or vacuuming a movie theater would come close .  .  . but how does one induce
the diabetes that cow's milk allegedly increases?  A bad enough diet might
create an increase in type 2 DM but that would not make up for the increased
type 1 DM debatably associated with milk.

The constipation induced can be duplicated with a zero fiber diet for a week
or two (there are some who say that codeine 30mg/day could cause equal
constipation, but the literature fails to support this).
The assault on the immune system is tough to duplicate.

Breastfeeding, vegetarian moms need milk and meat like a fish needs a
bicycle.  (I always loved that one.)
Vegetarian moms should eat well but need not be obsessive nor even worried.
These kids are getting some of the best milk on the planet.

Regarding Bill Sears, I never trusted the guy!  He has written no more that
forty books for breastfeeding moms, dads and families, spoken at hundreds of
LLL and other conferences, appeared on TV in support of BF and AP, raised not
even two dozen children of his own and he pretends to be an expert!!
Yes, he successfully fought off his own cancer with a major change in diet
and attitude towards nutrition and now wants to step out and talk more about
what others could do to improve their own health and decrease the risk of
cancer and save lives.  But .  .  .
DHA for sale?  It should be free to the people!  Who are the people? Oh .  .
.
I am jealous.  Bill got Neurimins and I got Pokemon.
Oh, well, I've always wanted to be Bill Sears when I grow up.

On the other hand, an appropriate piece of wisdom is recirculating on the net
these days:

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
Then, when you do criticize him, you'll be a mile away and at least you'll
have his shoes!

Jay Gordon, MD, FAAP, IBCLC (I have the paper here somewhere)