From:
Diana Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 22:22:17 EDT
I recently had a mother call me because she has breastpain that occurs
periodically with no apparent cause.  She is currently breastfeeding her
fourth child, an almost two year old (BF her others from 18-24 mos) She does
say, on questioning that the pain seems to occur after a day when her baby
did not nurse as much.  She claims there is no redness, but that there is
swelling, no knots or lumps. She has treated it with heat, and has had some
relief with ibuprofen. I met her today, and she is just getting over an
episode- she is thin, no fat on the upper part of her breasts,all the
fullness underneath, the "swollen" area is at about 12:30 on her R breast
down to the areola- it has no warmth on palpation,it does not look swollen
(but she said that it was getting better and not as swollen as it had been),
it feels like a band- like there are maybe 2 of those thick wide post office
type rubber bands under her skin- about an inch wide.
She had a mammogram, which showed areas of calcification-the surgeon she
consulted told her that her breasts were worn out from breastfeeding and to
wean in 2 weeks! (Is this the "when I don't know what it is say something
really sexist and stupid to put the woman on the defensive" policy?) They
did not find any lumps to biopsy. She had an ultrasound done today. Could
this be an inflammation of Cooper's Ligament? I told her to try ice packs
instead of heat, and to use the ibuprofen since it had helped, and that I
would try and find out info for her. Any and all info/theories etc., would
be appreciated.
Thank you!-Diana enjoying spring- azaleas and dogwoods blooming-in SC!