From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 2004 10:04:18 -0400
Good morning all. I have been reading the many notes that have come in
about the list, re: the debate on making this list by application
only... I am heartened from the notes by the many who have written in to
say how much they would miss the Lactnet list if they were suddenly
barred for not being professional, etc.

I think that the idea of protecting the list from interlopers or other
people who have other agendas is one that comes into my mind when
something happens where I feel that the list has been used to stymie the
progress of breastfeeding and the culture and science around
breastfeeding. But alas, I think that working from a fear base is
detrimental to our progress as well. It is important to realize that
what we say, whether to our friends, our colleagues, or via the internet
can and should be considered public, as someone said, a secret is only a
secret until two people know. It keeps us on the up side, and is good
energy to hold and remember.

I am leaving for the weekend to hear my daughter play violin at her
wonderful chamber music camp, Kinhaven. I am giving this thought, as are
the other listmothers. I am writing to thank everyone for their
input...and to let you know that we hear you, and that we will
contemplate, and decide..but we will never bar someone from this list
who wants to learn and is interested in helping mothers breastfeed more
effectively, comfortably, and happily.  It is too great an honor to
watch those ripples of support and knowledge and humanity come from our
little lake of Lactnet. Initials do not make the person.  It's the
intention, and what is in the heart of the person that makes the
difference.

More later, but for now, please direct your comments to us at
[log in to unmask], and have a great weekend.

Warmly, Kathleen

Kathleen Bruce RN IBCLC
Independent consultant: Breastfeeding Clinic of Vermont, Lactation
Resources of Vermont, Medela, Inc.
Listowner Lactnet listserv
Archives: http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html