From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2011 08:34:56 -0500
Dear Lactnet Friends:

I am the lactation consultant for a major US city health department; my job
is to implement the Breastfeeding Promotion policy, educate and train,
create materials and gather information. Pretty cool

I spent yesterday afternoon with my boss, a public health manager II,
developing an agenda for a meeting with a BIG CHEESE at the City. We used
the CDC Guide to Breastfeeding Interventions to build the agenda. Everything
was almost done except that I wanted a piece in the agenda about informing
the public of the risks of formula. My boss didn't get it and was stuck in
the "well, women have choices" thing, and that if we tell women how
important breastfeeding is, then mothers will choose it.

I got passionate and said that we in public health have an obligation to
spread the information that formula has health risks, otherwise promoting
breastfeeding makes no sense. Women will agree that breastfeeding is better
and keep using formula, unless they understand the health risks.....which
industry doesn't want them to know. (Of course, because then women won't buy
the product!)

Well, wouldn't you know, but the CDC guide has a whole piece on
Counter-Marketing!!! Yay. Counter-Marketing is the first item on the agenda
now, with 3 sections, one of which is about implementing the WHO code!

So public thanks to all the great folks at the CDC that have done so much
great work to move the US forward on breastfeeding!!

warmly,

--
Nikki Lee RN, BSN, Mother of 2, MS, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI, ANLC
craniosacral therapy practitioner