From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 19:49:42 -0500
I find that I must apologize for using language that some found
objectionable. Honestly, I meant to bleep out the "curse word" before I
sent. (But - a sincere question - why is seeing, for example, "b*******" NOT
considered offensive, while the actual word is?) Guess that's actually
irrelevant, as long as people are offended, and I do regret not being more
careful with my language.

As for lying to the doctor & claiming it's "none of his beeswax" (or is that
an offensive word too?): do I honestly believe that that is good practice?
*Of course not!*  Have I ever recommended it to a patient? *Absolutely not!*
Do people do it all the time? You betcha! Even without benefit of us LCs. I
DID NOT MEAN IT!!! But those of you who found that part of my response
offensive, I have to admit that you are right - in "real life" I would never
actually suggest that a patient lie to their doctor. It's unprofessional, to
say the least. I was responding emotionally, to what I found some of the
"most offensive" and "least professional" mis-information I've heard in a
long time, and I should have restrained myself. And, as many of you have
rightly pointed out, often what the patient says the doctor said isn't
necessarily what the doctor said - absolutely right on your part, wrong on
mine.

Please excuse me; I hope I'm at least able to learn from my mistakes. I'll
try, and time will tell, and I can count on you all to point out my errors.

Cathy Bargar, RN, IBCLC, Ithaca NY