From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2007 19:51:07 -0500
What I see is the baby is tight toned all over. He holds his arms tight,
his fists tight, his mouth tight. He may latch ok but if you look at the
corner of the mouth, it is a V where the lips touch at the corner, not a
U with relaxed lips. They often arch backwards both at the breast, on
the baby scale, and when changing the diaper. It takes the full feeding
before baby relaxes his arms. You can gently pull on the arms while he
is breastfeeding and there is tension or you can not gently move the arm
easily. They are often fussy, before feeding, after feeding, and the
weight gain is good. Sometimes the mouth/jaw is so tight that mom has
sore nipples. You see a white line around the lips with latch on. And
the lip muscles are very tense looking.

Do we even know how this happens? I have heard, but have no proof, that
epidurals cause this. I do believe Linda Smith talks about how even
normal trauma as the head moves down the birth canal can affect the
muscles and nerves in the head and face. For more information, read
Impact of Birth Practices on BF.

The only thing I have seen really work to "relax" these babies is
craniosacral therapy. The practitioner that I refer to says that the
reflux stuff is really impaction of the nerves to the stomach and she
works on those and stops the stomach issues. She feels the nerve issue
is the cause, not that the reflux is the cause.

Whatever the cause, these babies are very irritable and have
difficulties organizing themselves to feed. The arching at the breast is
often the baby not being able to get started feeding. They often can
feed well and take in nice amounts once they are on and start sucking
appropriately. If you watch them, you see it takes them some time to
figure it out. Even when they are 100% breastfeeding and not getting
bottles, they just seem slower to organize their mouths and sucking and
get it going. And this goes on and on, some feedings are better and some
worse. I tell mothers to realize the baby isn't rejecting the breast as
they think but rather the baby can not organize itself to feed properly
and needs mom to help guide him.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC