From:
Sam Doak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 11:31:21 -0500
Thank you for that link, Esther. It was dated 6 Aug 07, so it is relatively
recent.

A few things I found ironic included that "only 13% of mothers exclusively
breastfeed their infants for 6 months" and then a couple paragraphs later,
it states, "infant formula simulates-or serves as a substitute for-human
milk. It represents a great gain in human health, as a century ago infants
who couldn't be breastfed usually didn't survive." A century ago, 87% of
infants were unable to be breastfed?

Also ironic, "Infant formula, which is regulated by the Food and Drug
Administration, is a close second to breast milk." yet in the paragraph
above, they state, "Breastfed infants have lower rates of hospital
admissions, ear infections, diarrhea, allergies, and other medical problems,
than bottle-fed babies." A close second?

Another irony, "Many parents find it convenient to bottle feed their babies
with formula. Such feeding also can help mothers get rest, and more members
of the family can become involved in feedings. Formula-fed babies need to
eat less often than breastfed babies, because breast milk is digested more
easily and leaves the stomach more quickly." Yet, the photo on the webpage
shows a young infant, laying on her back, self-feeding a bottle of formula.
Yes, I can see how much more convenient that could be for the PARENTS, but
how does this involve other family members, aside from the baby?

It is a sad state of affairs when a governmental agency collaborates with a
high-profit industry to dilute the health of our future.

Sam Doak

<<<

http://www.fda.gov/consumer/updates/infantformula080607.html

Note that they address the Sakazaki issue, and give guidelines on preparing
artificial milk.

Esther Grunis, IBCLC

Lis Maternity Hospital

Tel Aviv, Israel