From:
Mimosalee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Apr 1998 15:23:00 EDT
Dear Lactnetters,

I've been following the issue of Doraine's bikini with interest.  I really
need a two-piece swimsuit, but I'll be darned if I can fit into anything
offered at the stores.  (Do you know most suits only accommodate up to a "C"
cup?  This must be discrimination against lactators...or the "Rubenesque.")

My dominant German genes are looking for something like an "exercise" bra and
bike shorts.  This item is crucial to me because 1. my pelvic floor muscles
are not as limber as they used to be (ever try completely stripping down in
the woods on a canoe trip with a wet one-piece suit?) and 2. referring to the
aforementioned canoe, one-piece suits restrict one's paddling technique.

Anyway, it occurred to me, through my recessive Finnish genes, that the
politically correct solution to the bikini and body image situation is simple.
It's all in the cultural body image, as Kathleen says.  Finns in their saunas
(and lakes and snowbanks) have no problem with it.  The Japanese in their
baths have no problem with it.  The vacationers on the French Riviera have no
problem with it.  ETC.

....SO, the simple politically correct action for all the Lactivists at the
conference in Florida is to go topless on the beach!  (To reassure those with
German genes, no one will notice....I've heard most of the people on the
Florida beaches are mostly undressed anyway.)

I know this will work because I've heard someone say (maybe on Lactnet) that
her husband had no problem with her nursing her baby (discreetly) in public,
since he'd spent several months in the south of France and became blase about
seeing bare breasts in public.

Hope this won't scare Dr. Cordes away from attending the ILCA conference! ;)

Hope y'all have a great time, whatever you do....
Sincerely (and regressing back to German genes...),

Lisa Mo
LLL Leader
Bowling Green, KY
 (where the sun is shining, the dogwoods and redbuds are blooming, and I'm
itching to get out on the water with my significant other and our three
boys...)