Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 08:28:14 EST
Tracy  says:
milk bank

Recently there was a post on Lactnet announcing grant  money which would =
be
available to start a milk bank.  There is a  group in my city that has =
made
the preliminary application.  Now  that we are looking into the =
application
further, there are some things  that aren=92t exactly clear.  We are =
doing our
best to determine  whether this proposal is one to pursue.  At this point =
it
looks  like the funding comes from a company called Prolacta that may  =
include
a  private investor named Elena Medo.  It does not  appear to be =
affiliated
with the Human Milk Bank Association of North  America.  We have been
informed that there are no Code violations and  that the funding does not
come from Formula manufacturers.  However, it  is not clear where the =
money
comes from or even where the milk will go  once it is collected.>>

Tracy, I would be  careful.  I would be VERY careful:

From their  website:

<<ProLacta BioScience is a biopharmaceutical company  working to alleviate
human suffering and disease by pioneering and developing  human milk derived
therapies.>>

<<ProLacta BioScience is proud of its scientific team,  comprised of industry
veterans with solid track records of achievement in  developing
investigational new drugs and pharmaceutical and nutritional  therapies.>>
No money from formula  companies?
<<ProLacta BioScience is developing formulations of  human milk that provide
pre-term babies all the building blocks they need to  grow. In addition to
these essential nutrients the ProLacta BioScience  formulations provide special
protection against illness and disease not  available in infant formulas.>>
Why do I suspect this  ability does not come from a philanthropic millionare?
Valerie -- if you are out  there, this would be a great one for you to sink
your teeth into.
<<By optimizing the formulations to meet the specific needs of  premature and
sick babies, ProLacta BioScience hopes to improve  outcomes for these small
patients and their families.>>
What DO they plan to do w/  the milk?  I can only speculate.  And how much of
what is donated to  the "milk bank" will be harvested and reworked and resold
for a profit?  Is  Prolactata BioScience a not-for-profit organization, or is
it going to make mega  bucks off the milk of our mothers who will donate it
-- for  free?
Jan