From:
"Laura A. Mundt" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Apr 2005 12:28:31 -0700
Mary-Jane

I think what the course involves and entails is more important than
the credentials/initials you receive after taking the class.  I took
an amazing lactation educator program and felt that that prepared me
very well for the work I do (teach prenatal classes), but another
colleague of mine took a CLC class and she felt she didn't get much
out of it because it didn't really go beyond the training she already
has as a postpartum doula.  She's already said she isn't going to
bother to recertify with that same organization.

Thinking of my certification as a childbirth educator, some trainings
are more rigorous and help prepare you more for the work you will do
after the training.  Others require the participants to do the
minimal amount of work to get the credentials.  The husband of one of
my CBE friends took the "certification exam" offered by a regional
childbirth education certification program and he passed.  Now that
either says he pays very close attention to the work his wife does :)
or the certification was too easy.

Laura Mundt, MA, ICCE
Portland, OR