From:
Anna Swisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 2008 12:36:38 -0500
The breastfeeding community's quick response to melamine in US formula is
crucial, imho, because of the public's short attention span and preoccupation
with the economy. Notice how the FDA hastily convened a meeting with the
culprits and their industry council. Where was the outrage on the part of the
FDA?  Sundlof states that  "They should not be changing the diet. If they've
been feeding a particular product, they should continue to feed that product.
That's in the best interest of the baby."

What a lie this is!  And how convenient they timed this report over the US
Thanksgiving holiday, when people are gone or distracted.

The spin on this reminds me of the Witch in The Silver Chair where she
convinces the children that "there never was a sun" (for C. S. Lewis fans).

I urge anyone who feels so led to contact both the FDA Commissioner (to
whome Sundlof reports) and the DHHS Secretary (FDA is under Dept. Health &
Human Svcs).  I'm also including Sundlof's contact info:

Michael Leavitt, Secretary of the US Dept. Health and Human Services
DHHS/OS/IOS
200 Independence Ave. SW
Washington, D. C.  20201
email: [log in to unmask]
(202) 690-7000

Andrew von Eschenbach, MD
Commissioner, Food and Drug Administration
Parklawn Bldg./Mail Code: HF-1
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20856
(301) 827-2410
no email found

Stephen Sundloff, DVM, PhD
Director CFSAN
CPK1 # 4B064 HFS-001
College Park, MD  20740
(301) 436-1600

Otherwise, this news bite will disappear, just as the damage control minions at
the formula companies desire.  Those who work in US hospitals should use this
opportunity to increase Risk Management's awareness at the corporate level.

Anna Swisher, MBA, IBCLC
Abundant Blessings
Georgetown, TX