Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 10:58:53 -0400
Hi All,

Coming out of long time lurkdom to ask for your help.

I am the lone lc in a large, urban hospital with 3000 deliveries/yr and
(currently) 68 babies in a level 3 nicu.  After a long chat with my boss about
how inadequate lactation coverage is, she asked me to write a proposal for
hiring a dedicated nicu lc.  Has anyone done this?  Have you been successful
in getting more help?

Does anyone know where the research is that quantifies the differences in
length of stay between breastmilk fed and abm fed babies?  I keep reading
that the length of stay is shorter, but I need the article and exact number of
days difference.  And yes, I have read much of Paula Meier's research.

By the way, the Nov 1 Journal of the AAP is planning to have several articles
dealing with breatmilk in the nicu, one of them by Dr. Meier.

Best wishes to all from unseasonably warm NJ,

Angie Daniels, RN, IBCLC
Newark, NJ