From:
Sherwood Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Sep 2005 15:36:34 -0400
I probably should have sent this letter to Lactnet for ideas before I sent it, but I was a bit wound up.

Here is what I wrote.  I'm not sure if it will help, or if it will even get read, but I had to do something.

Nancy Sherwood

To the Washington Post VIA their web site:

All over the world people are responding to the devastation of Hurricane Katrina.   There are many relief efforts in place or working on getting in place.

One of the areas of great concern is the safe feeding of infants.  Infant formula is being sent to the devastated areas.  Considering that the sanitation is so poor, preparation of infant formula and the sterilization of bottles and nipples is going to be difficult if not impossible.

There is a great deal of information on the importance of breastfeeding in times of crisis.   Women with young babies can relactate and produce breastmilk for their babies.  Information on how to relactate needs to be given to these mothers.

Even if mothers are only able to produce a partial supply of breastmilk, their babies will benefit by getting sterile milk from their mother's breast, complete with immunities that these babies so desperately need at this time.  I am attaching a list of resources to help get the information out to those helping the families in need.

You have the resources to pass this information along and I sincerely hope that you will do so.

Yours Truly,

Nancy Sherwood

International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC)

Reston, Virginia

http://www.euro.who.int/document/e56303.pdf  WHO

http://www.ennonline.net/ife/module2/m2pdf/m2additional.pdf  WHO, UNICEF, IBFAN

http://tinyurl.com/bo3pr Wellstart International  http://www.llli.org/emergency.html            Emergency Breastfeeding Resources complied by La Leche League International