From:
Sonya Shaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2012 12:59:34 -0500
Hello,
I have PTP and would like to ask for any suggestions or insight.  I saw a
mom the other day whose baby she reports is gaining weight fine, but she
feels that he is not latching as well as her first baby did.  He
breastfeeds frequently, every 1-1.5 hrs, and often falls asleep at the
breast.  She also has some soreness when he first latches on.  He is 3
weeks old.

He has a sucking blister on his top lip, and he also has a small white dot
that also looks like a blister on the top of his mouth, towards the back of
the hard palate.  I helped her with some latch and positioning ideas, and
that eliminated the pain.  But she also describes that he kind of chokes a
bit, once or twice a day, and says she can hear him swallowing air.  She
described it like she could hear the air going all the way down.  Would
this be from him swallowing air due to a less than perfect latch?  I didn't
know if anything like laryngomalacia or tracheomalacia or any other
anatomical issue could cause that?  He did also appear to have a lingual
frenulum issue, so she is going to see her doctor about that or see an ENT.

Just wanting to ask if there was any other insight on the
choking/swallowing air concern.

Thanks for your time,
Sonya Shaver, BS, CHES, IBCLC