From:
"Andrea C. Tran" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 16:24:47 -0600
I always glove before putting a finger into any baby's mouth because  I
believe it protects both of us from transmitting to each other.  I had
begun to think about it a few years back from the perspective of
protecting myself.  Then I found out about an LC who came down with
Hepatitis A and all the babies she had seen in the days before she was
diagnosed had to recieve immunoglobulin shots because at that time it
was not her practive to glove before an oral exam, and of course being
sick she couldn't remember which baby she had done an oral exam on so to
be on the safe side they gave them all the shots.  It was traumatic for
the LC, the parents and of course the babies.  I use whatever glove is
in the room, but prefer the latex free.  I also rinse my gloved finger
first.  Even though the gloves are "powder-free" I have tasted them and
there is a funny taste if it's not rinsed.  I can also tell parents I
have tasted it and it doesn't taste bad.

Andrea Tran, RN, CLE
Boulder, Colorado