From:
Marianne Vanderveen-Kolkena <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2008 17:08:13 +0200
Morgan, there must be a misunderstanding. I dit *not at all* mean to say
that you are reducing bf to the product. I meant to agree with Diane on the
importance of the process.
It was a general statement on a trend, that is clearly visible in the Dutch
society, as well as it was visible in the comments on the discussed
site/blog.
Of course, the general public should be well/much better informed on
next-best options. No need for you and me to disagree on that. ;o)
Had a high school reunion yesterday and of course people ask: "What do you
do?" Says a former male classmate of mine: "Ridiculous, that the Dutch
government said the other day that women should breastfeed longer!" (Yes,
the health minister actually said that!) "Government has no right to
interfere." So I asked how he felt about smoking and using safety belts and
car seats. Came a somewhat dumm answer, very inconsistent, and I did not
feel like putting myself in the defense chair and discuss societal barriers
and attachment, so I left it for what it was. Should have asked what his
experience was with his own children (not even sure if he has any, which
would have been the best scenario for his answer to my question... hahaha:
"So, no experience, but a rigid, not so well-informed vision
nevertheless...?!").
Friday evening on the radio, an interviewer asking a question: "Are mothers
who choose not to bf, worse mothers than those who do?" What would be the
answer to this one: "Are mothers who choose to smoke during their pregnancy,
worse mothers?" "Are mothers who willingly neglect their infants needs,
worse mothers?" Once again, it is a matter of how to word what you want to
say and how willing people are to give things more than one second of
thought and then after thorough thought, give a well-balanced answer.
Apparently, this is very difficult, even 25 years after leaving high
school...

Warmly,

Marianne Vanderveen, Netherlands