From:
Marina Baldocci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 2002 10:35:16 -0400
Hi,I need some help for a mum I've met with a terrible engorgement. This is
her second baby and she didn't breastfeed her first one for the same
reason.It was a planned cesarean section, lots of fluids and...baby in the
nursery.She used a manual breastpump in her room and the electric hospital
one while in the nursery she massaged the breast and used warm water
bottles  . She had access to the nursery 2 days after birth and feeding
times where 3 1/2 hours apart with a 6 hours gap at night.NO COMMENT- THIS
IS HOW IT GOES IN OUR HOSPITALS .5 days after the birth she was discharged
and the baby (2850gr)stayed in the hospital because of jaundice
phototherapy.Her breasts are really sore and stone hard.The pumping
releaves her simptoms for few minutes but, then she has the feeling the
breasts become even more hard and sore. The baby latches on on one breast
after reverse pressure but doesn't at the other.I have advised her  to use
cabbage leaves and to keep on with massage, heat and pumping telling her
that things eventually will improve.
She has no help at home, her husband is out all day, she has a 4 years
daughter to take care of and she is about to switch to bottles.
Do you have any suggestion that can releave quickly a pathological
(iatrogenic) engorgement
Marina Baldocci IBCLC Rome-Italy