From:
Debbie Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 2009 17:32:38 -0700
Hi All,

I’ve got a really quirky case that I’m not sure how to counsel.  Baby is 14
months old; still almost exclusively breastfed (family history includes
laundry list of allergies); 18 lbs. 1.5 oz current weight, down from 18 lbs.
13.5 oz at a year.  Mom is a long-time vegetarian and became vegan when baby
reacted to milk and egg in mom’s diet; she does take prenatals but no other
supplements.  Baby’s main source of nutrition remains breastmilk.  Ped has
been aggressively pushing solids and even formula supplementation for past
several months, but mom has resisted the pressure.  Infant reacts violently
to many different solids, so mom has been proceeding cautiously when
introducing any solids; baby is VERY picky.  Ped ran some blood tests
recently and the results have freaked everyone out:

 Cholesterol: 205 (Should be less than 170 for someone her age)

Triglycerides (fasting): 820 (Should be less than 150 for someone her age
fasting)

HDL: 20 (Should be greater than 45)

%HDL: 10 (Should be greater than 27)

LDL: Invalid with triglyceride level over 400

VLDL: Invalid with triglyceride level over 400

Cholesterol/HDL Ratio: 10.3 (Should be less than 4.5)

Breastfeeding and Human Lactation includes one paragraph about cholesterol
(it’s typically higher in a breastfed infant) and nothing about
triglycerides.  Lawrence’s book has three pages regarding cholesterol levels
in infancy but only for the first few months of breastfeeding, and nothing
about triglycerides. JHL has an article in 2/2003 (The Long-Term Effects of
Early Nutrition: The Role of Breastfeeding on Cholesterol Levels ) but I
suspect it’s going to reiterate the same info that’s published in the
textbooks (I admit I haven’t read the article but I’m trying to avoid
troubling ILCA any more than necessary).

 This obviously falls outside our area of expertise, but I’d like to support
the mother as much as possible.  Ped seems to be searching for any excuse to
get baby off the breast ASAP.  Has anyone come across such high cholesterol
and triglyceride levels before?  Let me know if you need any further info.

 Thank you in advance,

Debbie Gillespie, IBCLC, LLLL
Tempe, AZ