From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 13:25:20 -0800
I've been corresponding with a mother who has had three dismal
breastfeeding experiences with her first three babies, and is now
expecting number 4.  Some people are now essentially telling her, "just
give it up", but she really wants to succeed with this one.  Major issues
are chronic nipple pain (yeast may have been an issue with at least one
baby) and milk supply failure/FTT after a couple of months with each
child.  I am suspecting that the issue is mechanical, quite likely with
familial palatal shapes, frenulums, etc.  The LC and lactation counselor
mother worked with in the past never touched either her breasts or her
baby; latch was merely assessed by observation.  I would like to find an
LC for this mom who is experienced in digital suck exam so that these
possibilities can be adequately explored. Please email me privately.
Mother lives about 1.5 hours south of Nashville, in the country.

TIA,
Lisa Marasco, BA, IBCLC