From:
Tricia Shamblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jun 2015 23:15:23 +0000
 What is your concern with the book? I saw a couple problems and several things that I thought could have been phrased better, such as: "Don't worry if breastfeeding isn't easy at first." Although breastfeeding can be more challenging at first for some moms, we want them to call if there are problems. I would worry that a mother with major problems could read that and ignore red flags and not call for help. "Make sure your newborn's nose is not blocked while nursing." Although mom isn't going to suffocate the baby, the baby will breathe and swallow better. "Breast milk can be refrigerated up to 48 hours.
Breast milk can be frozen up to three months." Wrong storage times. I think she is going storage times for NICU babies in the hospital here, this isn't true at home. Absolutely do not breastfeed your baby if:
You are HIV-positive or have AIDS (True)
You have a problem with alcohol. If you consume more than a single, occasional alcoholic beverage, you should not breastfeed. Drinking an occasional drink is acceptable as long as you wait at least two hours before breastfeeding your child. (Not really, I would take issue with the statement that if you have more than a single occasional drink you should not breastfeed, I would agree to wait 2 hours for each drink) Tricia Shamblin, RN, IBCLC