From:
jhroibal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 00:29:13 -0700
Greetings,

I have watched with interest the comments made about various
credentials. Despite the differences, we all basically have the same
goal--to help mothers breastfeed.

As this profession evolves, many issues will surface.  I hope we can all
recognize the value of helping mothers to breastfeed in our own
capacity, be it IBCLC or not. We all have much to learn and offer from
each other.

As Chair of the IBLCE Public Relations and Marketing Committee, I feel
compelled to offer information to the person who wanted to know how to
tell if a person was "really an IBCLC."

The term "lactation consultant" can mean a great many things to a great
many people.  A person can refer to oneself as a "lactation consultant"
and not be an IBCLC.  Only the letters "IBCLC" identify a recognized
standard of independently measured competence. Of course, there are many
excellent practitioners who are not IBCLCs.

As this discussion has evolved, it's clear that there is a lot of
confusion over what different initials mean to the profession, employers
and to the public. However, the initials "IBCLC" are internationally
recognized throughout the world. Internationally Board Certified
Lactation Consultants are allied health care providers. There is an
excellent article co-authored by our very own, Barbara Wilson-Clay
and Amy Spangler, "ILCA, IBLCE, and LLLI: Distinct Missions Define
Breastfeeding Organizations" and can be found in the Journal of Human
Lactation 13(4) 1997.

For more information, the IBLCE has a book, "Candidate Information
Guide" that states, "The primary purpose of International Board
Certification is to benefit the public by setting standards for the
lactation consultant profession.

This book along with the IBLCE Code of Ethics is available by contacting
the IBLCE at 1(703) 560-7330 or the web site www.iblce.org.

The IBLCE also has a National Registry (US only) that lists by name, ALL
currently certified IBCLCs. Any IBCLC who is currently certified will be
listed and can refer to her/himself as an IBCLC listed with the US
National Registry.

The following is from a press release sent to US Major wire services.

IBLCE Creates a National Registry of Certified Lactation Consultants

Registry to protect the interest of babies and mothers who seek out
registered lactation consultants (RLCs)

Falls Church, October 4, 1999: The International Board of Lactation
Consultant Examiners (IBLCE) has created a National Registry listing of
Board Certified Lactation Consultants. This National Registry will
provide a state-by-state listing for U.S. Registered Lactation
Consultants (RLC)s who are currently certified as an Internationally
Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC.)

IBCLCs who are nationally registered are allied health care providers
who, by meeting eligibility requirements and passing an independent
examination, possess the specialized skills and knowledge to provide
quality breastfeeding assistance to babies and mothers. The National
Registry for IBCLCs is a service to the public, to employers, and to
coordinators and supervising individuals who wish to determine if a
provider is a current IBCLC. Logging on to www.iblce.org can access the
National Registry.

The primary purpose of International Board Certification is to benefit
the public by setting standards for the lactation consultant profession.
The IBCLC credential certifies attainment of the gold standard of
competency in the lactation field and is designed to protect the
interests of babies and mothers.

For more information about IBLCE, or the National Registry, please
contact the IBLCE Executive Director,  JoAnne Scott by telephone at
(703) 560-7332, or write to IBLCE, 7309 Arlington Blvd. Suite 300, Falls
Church, Virginia 22042-3215. www.iblce.org.

Hope this is informative.

Heidi S. Roibal
Albuquerque, New Mexico