Date:
Sat, 22 May 1999 10:57:45 +0100
Anna gives an account of post-natal support in the UK, which is, sorry, not
quite accurate any more.

She is right in saying that the Tabitha Walrond case is unlikely to occur
in the UK because our post-natal support would *probably* prevent it.

But daily visits to post-natal mums by midwives are not universal - though
they may still be available in some areas. More generally, the midwife has
*clinical responsibility* for mother and baby up to a possible 28 days.  In
most areas this is carried out by the midwife making her own judgement as
to the frequency of visits. In practice,  a mum will get a daily visit for
two to three days after discharge,  on day 3 (average p/n stay is now about
2.4 days) and then maybe one or two more to day 10, when she transfers care
to the HV, who in practical terms takes over the clinical responsibility.

This is thought to be more flexible - and in some ways it is. I know a
midwife in a poor area of the city who is a terrific bf supporter who
visits some mothers twice a day for as long as she can.

>  After the first 10 days, here in
>Britain we are then passed on to a health visitor, who visits regularly
>(according to need) for the first few years of a baby's life).

Rarer than you imply, now, Anna. Some HVs do virtually no home visits at
all after the first one or two, except some places do the developmental
checks in the home as well.  However, mothers deemed in need of more
support do get visits, and the great thing is that mothers can and do ask
for home visits. And of course the baby clinic is open and free to all
families with kids under 5.

> I know I
>run the HVs down sometimes, but the system is basically a good one,
>IMHO.

 I agree. No mother would ever be left to flounder without care after
discharge. Tragedies are avoided.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK