From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 2003 09:15:52 -0800
Diane, you said, "We checked everything we could think
of and never came up with an answer.
Thyroid was checked twice, several months apart.
First test was normal, second test was low normal.
She had developed hot flashes, and was chronically
low-energy and depressed.

Her supply failure was totally unexplained until now.
She has gone to an endocrinologist in another city who
strongly suspects pituitary damage -Sheehan's syndrome
or similar to it - with resulting thyroid impairment.
She started thyroid replacement therapy a week ago and
within a couple days felt *good* for the first time
since the birth."

I'm confused here.  Her thyroid levels were checked
twice and were within the range of normal, but then
finding pituitary damage led to *thyroid*
supplementation which has helped her?  Does that mean
she was low thyroid, wasn't utilising the thyroid that
she had, or was something else going on?

In part I'm confused because I knew a mom with little
milk who had normal thyroid tests too, but nothing in
her history ever indicated Sheehan's, as I have
previously understood it.  She, too, used donor milk
for her 3rd child, after I pumped for a year for the
baby.  I would have liked to have seen her probe more
deeply into the cause of her low supply but she was
not interested in doing so.

Mentioning thyroid supplementation brings to mind
another question I've had for awhile- Are there any
negatives to thyroid replacement therapy?  When a
family member (dog) started on supplements 7 years
ago, my vet presented no negatives, even when
questioned.  I know of two moms who are very resistant
to using the replacement and are hoping to find a more
natural alternative.  Is that just a Boulder thing or
is there evidence to suggest harm?

=====
Kate, http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina/advantages-of-formula.html  Mom to Ursula (9!), Sage (6.5), Benno (2.9) A child is a beam of sunlight from the Infinite and Eternal, with possibilities of virtue and vice- but as yet unstained.~Lyman Abbott (1835-1922)