From:
"Lisa A. Marasco" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 1995 10:45:31 -0700
Has anyone seen this one?

The mother is asian and her breasts are completely upright and firm, no
sag. In fact, they are almost symmetrical to the feel, with equal fulness
above as well as below. The areola is tine, 1/4-1/2", and the nipples
quite long, about 5/8-3/4". Baby nurses and is growing fine, but pumps
get very little out of her. She has a gerber precious care that takes an
hour to get 1/2 oz; I tried the Medela mini-electric, the Lactina, and
the Nurture III, including with adding an Ameda flexi-shield. The pumps
all draw the foremilk, but do not milk the breast at all. I tried hand
expression on her, which seems to be the best option; she is a pretty
tricky candidate! Some angles elicited milk, others didn't; the ducts
need time to refill, and just the right technique. Spray mostly comes
from one or two ducts at a time only.

Because her breasts are so upright and mounded, they are hard to handle
manually, as in hand-expression. She has no history of fibrocystic
changes, and while the breast was firm, I don't know that anything could
be said about them. (I'm not an expert on fibro. stuff) She is the second
mom that I have worked with who literally seems physiologically unable to
pump. Have you seen these moms, too?

-Lisa

Lisa A. Marasco, IBCLC                                /  [log in to unmask]
International Board Certified Lactation Consultant    /  [log in to unmask]