From:
Lactatio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2007 10:53:51 -0600
It's my understanding that breast density is related to amount of glandular tissue, so women with dense breasts have more glandular tissue as opposed to fatty tissue.  With aging the breasts become less dense naturally so mammograms are better at detecting malignancy.  To me, it's not logical that the density would cause a greater risk for breast cancer.  Denser breasts would have more functioning tissue and when that tissue performs its intended function, the risk for malignancy is decreased.  Could it be that because breastfeeding rates are so abysmal in the developed world, where mammographic screening is commonplace, women with dense breasts are developing breast cancer because that tissue is not performing its physiologic function?  I must confess that I started having routine screenings at age 29, had dense breasts and breastfed for only 1 year, not exclusively, and developed premenopausal breast cancer.

Lactation Consultant
Silver Cross Hospital
1200 Maple Road
Joliet, IL 60432