Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2007 18:21:06 -0400
I always tell moms of healthy term infants to continue breastfeeding through mastitis.
For VLBW infants, I would like the mother to be on antibiotics for a day or two before I use the milk.
GBS is an unusual cause of mastitis, but it does happen.  It is however, most likely that mother was colonized BEFORE she developed mastitis.  Most babies develop early and late onset sepsis/meningitis from exposure through the birth canal.

Nancy

Nancy E. Wight MD, IBCLC, FABM, FAAP
Attending Neonatologist,
Children's Hospital & Health Center, and
Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women
Medical Director, Sharp HealthCare Lactation Services