From:
Ann Slaughter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 09:25:57 -0500
Bobby,

I totally agree.  I have had a child in each of these types of hospitals and
the Military hospital at Ft. Stewart, GA"  was great.  Since I had lost a
child with CHD they were even more in touch with my needs (and I was not
even an employee then).  I have  worked in this hospital twice over my
husbands 20 yr career.  The military was very "Big" on teaching, patient
support and staff support even before it was "The In Thing To Do".  Even as
a staff nurse I have never felt the support or encouragement to do more and
help more than when I worked there.
Unfortunately I can not say the same for some civilian hospitals I have
worked in during that same time period.

There was an "in unit" nurturing room in the Newborn nursery for classes,
videos,and one-on-one teaching and help since the PP ward was moved and not
as close as we would like.  This was in addition to the class room on PP.
Although we didn't have an LC in house there was a very active LLL in the
area and several staff members who were very experienced in
Lactation -personal and professionally.  Rooming in was the norm and not the
exception.  Infants only came back to nursery when needed to be seen by Dr.,
tests or change of shift, for a head count.  This was before the days of
alarm systems and such.

I can only say good things about my experiences in Military hospitals,
although I am sure there is some who don't feel that way.

Just my 2 cents worth
Ann Slaughter  RNC, IBCLC