From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 17:30:56 -0500
Someone sent me a copy of the ABM News and Views, Vol. 5, No. 3, 1999, in
which they announce a presentation titled "The Naked Truth: Images of
Breasts and Breastfeeding in the Media" at the upcoming ABM conference (this
Friday).  It's being given by Jean Kilbourne, who brought us "Killing Us
Softly" and "Pack of Lies."

I have been giving *my* lecture/slide presentation on this same topic since
1993, and was very surprised to see someone else doing it.  I have given
this lecture at colleges, universities, La Leche League conferences,
lactation consultant conferences, and grand rounds all over the USA, in
Canada and Australia, and will be giving it in a number of venues in 2000,
including England.  I know many of you on LactNet have seen or heard my
presentation "Beauty and the Breast: The Cultural Context of Breastfeeding
in the United States."  Chapter 7 in my book "Breastfeeding: Biocultural
Perspectives" is a written version of my presentation.

Obviously, there's no law that says somone else can't also take on this
topic, and I suppose I should be glad that someone of her stature is
spreading the word.  Still, it was a surprise to see "my topic" listened
with someone else's name.

If the ABM wanted to hear this topic, why didn't they invite me?  This is
apparently a new topic for her, as it is not listed on her web page as one
of the topics she lectures on.

Kathy Dettwyler, eating sour grapes in Texas