From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 18:54:48 -0600
>In conclusion, it is important for us all to cease referring to introducing
>solids between 4-6 months and refer to "about six months with continued
>breastfeeding for 24 months or beyond" to adequately quote the updated WHO
>recommendations.

James Akre of the World Health Organization states (as of 3 April 1998) that
the WHO has NOT changed its recommendation from "4 to 6 months" to "about 6
months," despite the wording of the above statement.  There has been a lot
of confusion about this for the past two years, but the original 1979 WHO
recommendations still stand as official policy.  Remember that they refer to
children all around the world, and the 4 month end of the range refers to
children in adverse environmental circumstances (poverty, lots of disease).
I can ask him to post directly to LactNet if people would like.

Katherine A. Dettwyler