Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 23:18:21 EDT
As a Hospital based lactation nurse for the last 6 years, I have noticed that
many of our mothers quit nursing due to the baby being gassy or fussy.  When
I made follow up calls after discharge around 3 to 6 weeks the stories I
heard started to sound very familiar.  Mothers stated that breastfeeding was
going well they baby had gained weight but every evening or night the baby
would fuss and act gassy.  Mothers would switch to some of their -"free"
formula and the baby was cured.
Rather than quit I now know that 99% of these mothers were experiencing
either overactive letdown reflex or an over-abundant milk supply.  Questions
to ask are:
1) When nursing do you hear the baby gulp a lot?
2) Does the baby jump on and off the breast during a letdown?
3) Do you feel the milk let down?( Some don't)
4) Has the baby been gaining weight?
5) Do you have any food allergies?
6) How long does the baby nurse?
7) Color of the stools?
If the mother is having overactive letdown, I encourage her to either hand
express or breastpump the side she is planning to nurse from until she has a
letdown.  This process decreased the milk-duct tension and also help to
decrease the force of milk flow.  The best hold is the football with the
baby's head higher than his tummy.  Also a latch-on then lean back and let
baby suck (up-hill). To slow the flow.  I advise mom to remove baby after a
few minutes and burp well( after the gulping stops) then latch baby back to
the same side. Burp frequently. Feed fully on one side before switching.
Burp. Repeat process on second side.  Stools should be yellow seedy and
loose, not greenish.
If mom has abundant milk supply encourage to nurse one side at a time using
same process.  Save pumped or expressed milk to use when away from baby. If
mom has food allergies I suggest not to eat them.
Hope this helps,  we have been able to save many breastfeeding relationships
this way.
Janet Tolley RNC,BSN,IBCLC
St. John's Hospital Springfield IL
First Baby-Friendly hospital in IL.