Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2008 14:29:22 EDT

Regina writes:

I have a  client I am supposed to see tomorrow who in our initial phone call
together  reported to me that the baby "has brachial plexus". I've never dealt
with this  before. Client reports that baby's left arm and
neck are affected - the  neck partially.

~~
Here is a site I found that might be helpful.
_Brachial  Plexus Center | Multidisciplinary Approach, Cincinnati Children's
Hospital  Medical Center_
(http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/svc/alpha/b/brachial-plexus/brachial-appointment-ad.htm?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=100211)

Depending on the extent of the injury the baby is experiencing, the
shoulder, arm and/or hand might be weak, or lacking feeling, since this is what  the
nerve bundle, the brachial plexus does. Just off the top of my head is might
mean carefully observing what the baby can and cannot do and help the mom work
with that. For instance, most babies are often getting their hands in their
way,  whereas this baby's arm might be floppy, and need mom to actually
position it  for him. She may need to be aware of where it is, so that it is
comfortably  positioned by her or someone,  if he lacks motion capability, and if
sensation is involved, because he may not be able to feel it himself, and it
could get cold, or have compromised blood supply. He also may not be able to cue
as well with arm position or fisting, and she might have to rely on the other
 side. Usually the injury is one-sided. It might be good to ask if baby will
be  seen by a PT or OT and see if all can meet for a session to work with each
other  and give each other helpful hints on how to best help this mom and
baby.

Clicking on the link to more helpful info was good. Deeper into the site:
_http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/health/info/neurology/diagnose/brachial-plexu
s.htm#treatment_
(http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/health/info/neurology/diagnose/brachial-plexus.htm#treatment)

Peace,