Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 16:37:17 +0000
I think that formula is a different kettle of fish than free diapers,
free soap or whatever.  Formula has side effects, sometimes serious.
You only need one drink of the stuff in the early weeks to set up the
chain of events that eventually leads to juvenile diabetes, for
example.  Secondly, if the mother does not like the brand of diapers
they give her, she can always change to another brand.  She may not
always be able change from formula feeding back to breastfeeding.

We should not be taking advantage of the vulnerable state of many
postpartum mothers to sell them stuff, much of which they don't need.
That is unethical marketing.  A "gift", okay.  Advertising of any
kind, not in my book.  The formula by the way is no gift.  It is an
investment by the company and it pays off handsomely.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC