From:
"Ann M. Calandro" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 23:02:38 -0500
What a lot of discussion there is tonight.  I have been on here for hours!
Having breastfed four children for a total of 16 years without a pillow of
any sort, I certainly don't think they are necessary  BUT   when I do
consultations and wrap them up in a pillow and help them get their feet up
and in a comfortable position, its amazing how many women feel so much more
relaxed and comfortable and able to get the baby in a good position, and
the look on their faces when it DOESN'T Hurt at last to nurse their little
one is priceless.  I don't sell pillows but I have found them quite
helpful.

PNS pumps- I too have wondered if the big price increase is to actually to
decrease sales and to increase rentals.  I know the rental business has
decreased greatly for many depots.

Breastfeeding Classes-  I always ask what the most important thing the
parents want to learn from the class tonight, and the first thing I hear
is, I want to know everything about breastfeeding (in 2 hours?)  OR I need
to know what to do when I go back to work.  I hope to get around the
working part by our new back to work planning sessions which will start in
January. I will touch on the possibility part and not have to do details,
and also will be able to recommend the class after the baby is born.  Being
monthly, there should be one for each parent even if they only have 6-8
weeks at home.

Baby Boys-  I have wondered for a long time if baby boys are more sensitive
than girls to the medications given during labor. Of course most little
boys who are nursing do just fine but I ask this because about 9 out of 10
of the babies I see with problems are boys.
This week we had three days when only boys were born in my hospital.  On
one day, I had 4 little boys who could not suck, at all.  They refused to
open their mouths and when the breast got near their mouths they would
thrust out their tongues and then begin sucking vigorously on their own
tongues.  Three of them left the hospital today not yet nursing, despite
all efforts.  Moms were pumping milk and syringe feeding it to them for the
first day, then the MDs wanted them to have bottles of expressed milk.  The
babies had great difficulties taking the bottles into their mouths as well.
 Fortunately the moms have not given up and are still doing skin to skin,
offering the breast frequently and continuing to pump.  Its very
discouraging to have so many all at once.
Does anyone else see more little boys with problems than girls?  Or is it
just me?  If you do see it, why do you think it might be?

Ann Calandro,RNC, IBCLC
Piedmont Medical Center
Rock Hill, South Carolina