From:
Nina Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 08:25:54 +1000
 "no signs of oversupply/ overactive let down"
Hi Vicki
There are clear signs of oversupply (lactose overload) here.
http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/lactose.html The mum reports very
frequent bowel motions that she feels are expolsive and acidic (perhaps
because they are causing a burn-like nappy rash).  The baby has put on about
300g a week averaged over the six weeks - this is not necessarily excessive
but it is on the upper edge.
Suggest mum try block feeding.  I would begin by finding out if baby usually
takes one side or both at a feed.  If both, I would be suggesting that mum
offers only one side (twice) at each feed. Offering it once in cross-cradle
and then once in football hold can trick the clever bubs into taking the
same side twice. I would suggest that mum only offer the second side if
brest compressions do not keep baby satisfied at the second offering of the
first side. (clear?) If mum is feeding only one side at each feed I would
suggest offering one side for two feeds in a row (expressing the other side
just for comfort if necessary). Again, watch the baby and offer the second
side only if the baby is not satisfied using breast compressions at the
first.
Also mum clearly needs a new paediatrician.  Not only are there clear  gaps
in his education, his logical reasoning skills are sadly lacking. (Allergic
to soy but feed soy formula ... What will they come up with next?)
Nina Berry
Australia