From:
Sue Jacoby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 1996 18:04:49 -0400
 I once had a mother report similar milk- lumpy, clumpy, "gelatin-like"
stringy.  She had been treated for mastitis of left breast.  The MD had told
the mother that her mastitis was related to a case of impetigo (a rash on her
leg, which she later got on her left breast)  For at least two weeks the milk
from her left breast had a yellow color- although the right breast milk was
bluish.  It also had a "bad taste"  Mom tasted it, and baby refused to nurse
from it.  Left nipple, after pumping, had a large hole in the center.
 Otherwise the breast felt fine following the mastitis treatment.

In the ensuing month, once infection seemed to be cleared up, the color
changed to normal, and the taste seemed OK, but clumps continued to be
present.   Mother pumped the milk and strained out the clumps and bottlefed
it to the baby with apparently no ill effects.  She was afraid to nurse
directly, for fear the clumps would choke the baby.

I lost track of this mother and never heard how long the clumpy milk
persisted.

Sue Jacoby, IBCLC & LLLL