From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 13:28:33 -0500
Patricia:  The relationship between infectious mononucleosis (especially
that associated with Epstein-Barr virus) and chronic fatigue syndrome is,
in my understanding, still hotly debated.  Mono itself is mainly seen in
adolescents and young adults (the youngest person I ever saw with mono
was 7 years old).  There is nothing I could find about mono or EBV in Dr.
Lawrence's text, and I doubt that there are any studies on the subject
(will try a literature search).  IMO, there are too many good reasons to
breastfeed and there is no epidemiologic evidence for transmission of the
virus (otherwise we'd see cases of infectious mono in babies).  To deny
mother and baby the benefits of breastfeeding on such a tenuous basis, I
would challenge the physician involved in the case to provide scientific
evidence of transmission and clinical disease.  As for the actual effects
of breastfeeding on the mother's level of fatigue, my personal bias is
that breastfeeding saves time and energy and allows mother more
opportunities to rest, therefore, I can't see it as a contraindication
for the mother's health.  Alicia.  [log in to unmask]