From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 2013 13:27:10 +0100
Hi Paula

The device you linked to looks as if it is for
goat's/sheep's milk with a capacity of 2 gallons.  That's quite big!

There's a smaller home-pasteurizer at
http://www.ace-intermed.com/products.htm which
might be of interest?  I have no financial
interest in this, but I sometimes work with HIV+
mothers who are interested in home-pasteurizing
their own milk, and one of the sales people came
to my home to demonstrate this pasteurizer to
me.  Apparently the company supplies equipment to
human milk banks in the US and the UK as well.

There's also the possibility of heat-treating
milk at home using a simple glass container in a
pot of water brought to the boil on the stove -
thus doing away with gadgets altogether. (See
Israel-Ballard K,  HIV in breastmilk killed by
flash-heating, new study finds, Demonstration of
flash-heating breastmilk, UC Berkeley, 15 May
2007
<http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2007/05/21_breastmilk-video.shtml>http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2007/05/21_breastmilk-video.shtml
) A 2005 study comparing the safety of
flash-heating and Pretoria pasteurization of
expressed breastmilk to prevent transmission of
HIV found that flash-heating was somewhat more
efficient and conserved more of the milk's
components. (Israel-Ballard K, Chantry C, Dewey K
et al. Viral, nutritional and bacterial safety of
flash-heated and Pretoria pasteurized beast milk
to prevent mother-to-child transmission of HIV in
resource-poor countries: a pilot study.  J Acquir
Immune Defic Syndr. 2005;40:175-181.)  A paper
published in 2008 shows the results of viral,
bacterial and nutrition assays;  both
flash-heated and Pretoria pasteurized milk
achieve temperatures sufficient to inactivate
HIV, yet retain most nutrients, but the
Flash-heat method was more inhibitory to
bacterial growth than Pretoria Pasteurization,
and destroys E. coli or S. aureus contamination.
(Israel-Ballard K, Flash-heated and Pretoria
Pasteurized destroys HIV in breast milk &
Preserves Nutrients!, Advanced Biotech Sept 2008,
available at
<http://www.advancedbiotech.in/51%20Flash%20heated.pdf>http://www.advancedbiotech.in/51%20Flash%20heated.pdf
)  A 2012 paper (Hoque SA, Hoshino H, Anwar KS,
Tanaka A, Shinagawa M, Hayakawa Y, Okitsu S, Wada
Y, Ushijima H. Transient heating of expressed
breast milk up to 65°C inactivates HIV-1 in milk:
a simple, rapid, and cost-effective method to
prevent postnatal transmission. J Med Virol. 2013
Feb;85(2):187-93. doi: 10.1002/jmv.23457. Epub
2012 Nov 21.
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23172701>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23172701
) confirms that a heating method as simple as
heating the milk in a pan over a stove to 65°C
inhibited HIV-1 transmission retaining milk's
nutritional key elements, for example, total
protein, IgG, IgA, and vitamin B(12) . The
authors highlight that this is a simple, handy,
and cost-effective method of heat treatment of
expressed breast milk that could be applied with
more confidence than it  currently receives.

Regarding certain components of the milk being
degraded, a 2008 study to determine the effect of
flash heating on vitamin content of human milk
found that Vit A was not significantly affected
and that Vitamins  B12 and C and folate increased
significantly. Vitamins B2 and  B6 were decreased
to 59%  and 96%  respectively, of that found in
unheated milk (Israel-Ballard KA et al. Vitamin
content of breast milk from HIV-1–infected
mothers before and after flash-heat treatment. J
Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 48: 444–449,
2008)  showing that most vitamin concentrations
are retained.  Chantry and colleagues concluded
in 2010 (Chantry CJ, Israel-Ballard K, Moldoveanu
Z, Peerson J, Coutsoudis, Sibeko L and Abrams B.
Effect of Flash-heat Treatment on Immunoglobulins
in Breastmilk. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2009
July 1; 51(3): 264–267.
doi:10.1097/QAI.0b013e3181aa12f2. available at
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2779733/pdf/nihms126967.pdf>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2779733/pdf/nihms126967.pdf
) that most breastmilk immunoglobulin activity
survives flash-heating, suggesting that
Flash-heated breastmilk is immunologically superior to breastmilk substitutes.

Hope this helps

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England