From:
Marilyn Norton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 13:09:17 -0500
I am a LC in a small Canadin hospital. I thought that we were quite
progressive until this happened:
A mother was admitted to our psychiatric unit with a diagnosis of post
partum psychosis. Her baby is 8 weeks old and has been thriving quite well
on breastmilk. ( second baby, first was breastfed for 13 months, and mom
enjoyed this.) Mom initially refused medication, but finally consented to
paxil. She was planning to pimp her milk while hospitalized HOWEVER her
psychiatrist gave an order that she was to stop pumping or she would not
treat her. Mom isn;t thinking rationally and wants to please everyone so
she has consented to wean from the pump. ( the initial instructions were to
simply not let her pump, but I was able to convince them of the harm that
this might do). Her Dr. has now put her on resperidone ( risk factor C )
and refuses to discuss things further. So much for family centered care.
Does anyone have any comments or suggestions? I feel like I am letting this
mother down when she has indicated that she wished that she could continue
to breastfeed. I would like her to even be able to" pump and dump" until
she is well and can resume breastfeeding but this is out of the question as
fas as Dr. is concerned.

Marilyn Norton RN IBCLC from Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island ( home of
Anne of Green Gables and the "Fixed Link")

0